What are pit and fissure sealants?
- A sealant is a thin resin material that is applied to the pits and fissures of back teeth.
- Sealants protect bacteria from penetrating chewing surfaces and causing decay over time.
- A sealant acts as a barrier, protecting the enamel from bacterial plaque in cavity prone areas.
- Children are much more susceptible to tooth decay than adults and should have their back teeth sealed as soon as the teeth grow in fully.
- In some cases adults can be recommended sealants if the pits and fissures require sealing.
- Applying sealants is a quick, easy and painless procedure. They are painted on and bonded in place.